Thursday, February 6, 2014

I am not a vet……

I was just looking over my blog and realized I didn't write about a experience that was a little crazy.  Our amazing neighbors the Cordner family had a brown lab that was going to have puppies.  On mothers day they were so excited because when they went out to see her there was a cute little puppy with her.  That whole day the dog was in labor and still just had the one puppy with her.  So the next day they went out and the dog was still in labor and there was still only one puppy.  So I called our friend that is a vet and asked him what they should do.  He said to feel and see if there was any puppies stuck where they should be coming out and if there was to get it out.  So MaryAnn and I went out and put on our rubber gloves and played vet.  There was a puppy stuck and you could tell it had died.  The dog that had gotten their dog pregnant was a large dog and so the puppies were bigger than they should have been.  So I did what the vet told us to do…. I pulled and tried to get the puppy out.  The poor mom dog was getting so worn out and every time she would push she would throw up.  So for a few hours we tried to help her and it was not going anywhere.  So I called the vet to let him know and he said that if we didn't get the puppy out of the way that the rest of them would also die.  So we went out another time and this time I just grabbed on the puppies head and pulled….. I could feel the little neck pop and it freaked me out… but they said to keep going.  So I did another pull and when I pulled it out it was only the puppies head…. it had popped right off.  So I scream and then threw the baby's head as far as I could and then almost threw up.  After that they took her into the vet and he had to do a c-section on the dog.  She ended up having 10 puppies and as soon as the vet took out the last little puppy, the momma dog died.  She had been through way to much pain and for way to long.  We were all really attached to Sadie (the dog) and so when the girls and I found out we all had to cry a little.
I have to say that after this experience I have had a few nightmares and am still a little in shock that the whole thing really happened.  I was trying to help a friend… she was pregnant and didn't really want to do the dirty work, and I don't really mind that kind of stuff….
Anyway, I am not a vet and I will no longer try to be.  It is just like the time I tried to bottle feed a little kitten and somehow I drowned it instead and it died.   I am just not good at these things.  Ryan on the other hand can bring a drown kitten back to life after giving it CPR, and warming it up…. go  figure.
We have become such great friends with the Cordner family and I am so glad that we have been able to live by them for the past two and a half years.  Our kids are also great friends and I hope they stay that way.  This past week they ended up moving to a different house and we are so sad.  I am going to miss seeing them all the time, but I don't think our friendship will change.

No comments: